Thursday, February 8, 2018

Using Video in the Classroom

This week I read this article: Response: The Best Ways to Use Video in Class by Larry Ferrlazo.

I think this is a topic that has a lot of different opinions surrounding it. Do videos provide additional educational benefits or are they simply a time filler? There really is no correct answer...it all depends on how effectively the videos are utilized. This article provided a vast variety of different ways video could be used to benefit students. The article covered everything from showing videos and movies, to having students create videos.
The-value-is-in-the.jpg
I think back to some of the videos I was shown in my K-12 education...I have vivid memories of watching School House Rock, Bill Nye the Science Guy and The Magic School Bus. There are a lot of things I feel like I better understand and remember because of some of these videos. For example, I can tell you how a bill becomes a law (I may sing the process, but nonetheless I could still tell you). If you aren't familiar with my reference, or want to take a walk down memory lane...enjoy the video below.


This article really emphasized how many different ways there are to successfully use video. The great thing is, is that this a tool that can be used for students of all ages. Students can create videos to show and explain their understanding of various topics. I can think of so many ways my students could do this.  One thing I would love to try is having them make a video of a word problem using real life manipulatives. Something we have done in the past is using a book and a movie to compare and contrast. We always do this with The Polar Express before winter break...the class loves it! 

I'd love to hear about some ways you use, or would like to use video in the classroom. 

4 comments:

  1. Chloe,
    I use videos everyday in my classroom! I am an autistic support teacher and my students learn language and all kinds of concepts each day by showing videos and encorporating music and movement. They pick up on concepts so quickly because the videos are so engaging! I use this one everyday in our phonics group: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3S3OX6HQm4&list=RDU3S3OX6HQm4&index=1
    They love to watch, sing, and tap out the sounds on their own alphabet visual that I printed and laminated for them to go with the song. They are super engaged and look forward to this time everyday. It helps to get them motivated to learn and it is a great way to transition them into the lesson for the day. I love to hear them sing it on their own through out the day because it is that catchy! :)
    Thanks for your post, I love the visuals and video you posted! I remember watching that as a kid too!
    Lauren

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chloe, I think videos are essential to the learning of all students, but especially ELLs. They learn through the connections of the visual to the language. If a video is going to be worthwhile, the teacher needs to use it to connect to the lesson and concepts, not just to fill space and never to be discussed. I think having the students create a video to display their knowledge of a concept to share with their classmates is an excellent idea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I believe there is a very valuable place for video in the classroom. Every time I tell the kids we are watching a video, I hear whispers of excitement. It can be very engaging and, for students who lack background knowledge, it can fill in the gaps. Of course, as educators we need to find quality videos but they definitely have a place today. Even better, students can create their own.

    ReplyDelete